Saturday, December 8, 2012

The Polaroid Wonder

"It was a wonder in its time: A camera that spat out photos that developed themselves in a few minutes as you watched. You got to see them where and when you took them, not a week later when the prints came back from the drugstore." - NY Times

I am a lover of photography - and all things vintage - so naturally I love old Polaroid cameras. As I type I continue to look over at my shelf where 2 old models sit. I love the colors (or lack there of) a Polaroid camera captures, and how magical is it to have your print in only seconds. I'll admit, however, that I have never taken a Polaroid picture. My interest in Polaroid cameras came in about 2009, a year after Polaroid closed its doors. 


My 2 Polaroid Cameras

To learn about the loss of Polaroid read NY Times' article from 2008

Even thought Polaroid is gone there is no need to despair -- there is hope for us yet.

1 - In 2010 The Impossible Project was born! The Impossible Project was started by a small team of 10 former Polaroid employees who shared a passion as well as the belief in Polaroid. Together they had more than 500 years of accumulated experience and knowledge in the field of instant film production.
  • Today the Impossible project is producing Polaroid film in a factory in Enschede, Netherlands. At $23.49 a pack the price is steep, but at least it is a possiblity. I am hoping that as more people buy their film the prices will drop.
2 - Fujifilm now makes a new version of Polaroid! The camera can be bought from Amazon for $59.99. Film for the camera is about $1.00 per picture.


3 - Fujifilm also makes their own instant camera called the Instax MINI. This camera can be bought 
from Amazon for 62.90. Film for the camera is a bit cheaper at $0.75 per picture.


Both of these cameras create rectangle pictures instead of the old square picture from the classic Polaroid cameras.

While the cost for instant pictures is still high, I am encouraged that their are companies taking initiative to keep these iconic pictures alive!

Do you have a Polaroid camera? What do you think about these new developments? Comment Below!

Sources:
New York Times: www.nytimes.com
The Impossible Project: www.the-impossible-project.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a family friendly blog. Please keep this in mind when commenting.