Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Business Basics



Yay! You started you photography business – now what? I know when I started out I finally went “pro” it took me awhile to get all the logistics taken care of. Below are a few quick tips for you new business. Keep in mind that this list is not all-inclusive.

This is really hard for me to post, but here is a picture from my very first full photo shoot. I am so grateful to have learned SO much since then. I hope to look back at my pictures today in a few years and say the same thing. In photography you do not attain; there is always something more to learn or experiment with.

1) Branding – Sit down and decide how you want your business defined and then work on branding. Create a name, logo and look for your business. If you can afford it hire someone to make a logo for you.

2) Social Media – Photographers get a lot of cliental from social media. Set up a facebook page, a twitter and an email. Make sure they each incorporate you new branding.

3)  Contract – This is important! As a photographer it is important for both you and your client to be protected legally. Don’t make the mistake of not having a contract! Expect the best, but be prepared for the worst! Your contract should include what your package includes, payment details, time of picture delivery, and a client waver to release pictures. My contract is 2 pages long. For contract ideas simply type in photography contracts and piece together a contract that works for you.

4)  Start Slow – If you need more clients at first it’s okay to have lower prices and work up slowly as your skill level increases. I know when I first started I changed my prices about every 6 months.

5) Keep Learning – A good photographer never thinks he/she knows it all. Always be looking to learn more whether it be online, at a conference, or through practice and experimentation.

Do you have any questions about starting a photography business? Comment below! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a family friendly blog. Please keep this in mind when commenting.