Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Photos in a Foreign Land

There are few things as exciting as boarding a plane with a backpack filled with camera gear! I love to travel and I love it even more when my sole job is to capture the people around me. My favorite part of being in another country is getting to capture locals going about their every day lives. I am fascinated with different people and cultures so I love photographing people from other countries.

I took this picture in India with my point-and-shoot before I was a professional. Even though the quality isn't great it is still on of my favorite pictures. In India many people sleep on the streets. I go back and look at this picture to remind my self of my many blessings. 

I have been blessed to have traveled to 10 foreign countries and in my time I have learned a few things about international photography. Below are some of my tips.

1) Shoot First Ask Later - Unless you are in a government building (or other official building) I recommend shooting first and asking later. When you ask someone to take your picture you loose the raw element of your picture. They know you're taking it and it won't be natural.

I took this picture while in the Philippines. We drove past an ally where these young men where flogging themselves. It was part of the Easter celebration in the Philippines. I had to be careful as the bamboo reeds sent blood flying into the crowd. If someone wasn't bleeding "enough" they would lay down and someone would come and cut small slices into their skin with a razor. I have pictures of this too, but they are too graphic.

2) Be Prepared to Pay - In foreign places many times people will run up and tell you owe them money because you too their picture. It's not a bad idea to have a few coins to toss them, however, don't be surprised if they ask for a large sum. They are hoping your are an ignorant foreigner who will give a large some of money thinking they have to you - you don't. Don't be afraid to be firm, they are use to bartering and pulling on foreigner's emotion. I've had shop owners try to get me to pay for taking pictures in their shop. I laughed and said they were funny. When they saw I wasn't going to pay they left me alone. Just be ready to pay if you have to.

3) Buy a Pocket Printer - Many people in third world countries don't have any pictures of themselves. When I travel I always carry a pocket zinc printer. When I take pictures of people (especially children) I try to give them a copy. You should see the glow on a child's face when you hand them a picture. I just love it! Do be careful, however, not to do this in a large crowd where you will be spending time. If you give one person a picture pretty soon everyone will want one.

The "PoGo" I have doesn't seem to be made anymore. There is another Polaroid version seen here: Polaroid Store.
While in China I spotten this women watching our group pass. I quickly snapped this shot capturing the common crouch that is common in China.

4) Leave the Beaten Path - If you are in a busy place and you aren't finding anything that inspires you look for an alley or more remote place. I know on my travels I have found great pictures this way. I should mention, however, that when there are not a lot of people around it is harder to get a picture without someone stopping what they are doing (which takes away the natural element).

5) Don't Rule Out Crowded Places - Always be on the lookout. Sometimes in a crowded place there may be someone sitting on the outskirts weaving a basket, or watching the people walk by. These people are usually easy to photography because they don't even notice you.

While boarding our bus in the Philippines I notice this man watching us, so I grabbed a quick picture. For some reason in this picture I like that he is looking at the camera and I love his dirty hands and the grungy street.

6) Put the Camera Down - I know this about getting good pictures, but don't forget to put the camera down every once in awhile. If you don't you will come back home and have to look at you pictures to see where you were. I always try to take breaks and just take in the sites, smells, and noises of the people around me.

Do you have any tips for international photography? Any questions? Comment bellow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a family friendly blog. Please keep this in mind when commenting.