Saturday, December 8, 2012

Pinterest: Killing Creativity?



As a photographer I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard clients say: I have this great idea…I saw it on Pinterest. The popularity of Pinterest – a website created as a place to share creative ideas – has left some wondering if it has only stifled creativity and destroyed originality.

Here Are my 2 Cents:

I LOVE Pinterest! I was born creative and I love working on any sort of creative project. I have loved to do this well before the birth of Pinterest. Now Pinterest gives me a great place to look for creative ideas and store them for later use.

I think photography is where Pinterest gets a little sticky. Many of the pictures posted are copyrighted work of a professional. When a photographer takes a picture off of Pinterest and only duplicates it, I find that to be a form copyright infringement.

I, like others, pin photography ideas on Pinterest, but I don’t copy an actual image. I think it’s okay to look at images to get ideas. You can look at a pose in one image, a prop in another, and then throw in your own ideas to make your own creative image. I think this is a great use of Pinterest. My only problem is when people completely replicate an image by working as hard as possible to make their image look the same. I think this is just plain boring.

Yes…I love Pinterest! Just make sure you still use your own creativity and don’t only borrow others.

What do you think about Pinterest? What are the Pros and Cons? Comment Below!

2 comments:

  1. http://pinterest-out.blogspot.com

    Check out the older posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete

This is a family friendly blog. Please keep this in mind when commenting.